Ikoyi Building Collapse: Death Toll Now 44

Advertisements
Advertisements
Advertisements
Advertisements
Advertisements
Advertisements
Advertisements
Advertisements
Advertisements
Advertisements

The number of dead bodies recovered from the rubble of the 21-storey building, which collapsed last week Monday in Ikoyi, Lagos, has reached 44.

Advertisements

The National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, said that two bodies were found at the site on Sunday.

Advertisements

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, who visited the scene of the accident on Saturday, had put the death toll, as of that day, at 42.

Advertisements


On Monday, NEMA said the federal government has directed the Army Corps of Engineers to assist in the ongoing operation.

Since the skyscraper crumbled last week, relatives of victims and sympathisers had continued to throng the area, hoping to see their loved ones alive.

The state government had also set up ‘help desks’ to help families identify their loved ones trapped in the debris.

However, on Monday, few people were seen at the site. The ‘help desks’ were no longer present but the rescue operation was still going on.

This newspaper also observed that the debris had been evacuated almost to the ground level.

On Friday, Mr. Sanwo-Olu granted access to family members to identify bodies of their loved ones deposited in the Lagos Mainland Hospital morgue.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *