Samora Mourns Family of Four Who Died from Generator Fumes


By Wole Adedeji, Ilorin

The sleepy Samora town in Kwara State is still mourning the death of four members of a family who died after inhaling fumes from a generator left overnight during the last Eid-el-Kabir celebrations.


This reporter was told in the town that unlike a tradition of joy that often attend the Sallah season, the story this year was a sad one.

According to the natives who spoke to this paper, indigenes of the town like other Igbomina communities, often come from across the country to celebrate the ‘Ileya’ festival.

It was said that in some cases, such occasions used to serve as avenues where young women and men meet and strike marital bonds.

The victims, who were of Ojomu family Compound, Samora in Irepodun Local Governmrnt Area of Kwara State included the husband, two women, one of whom was the wife, her friend and a friend of one of his children.

They were said to have come from Lagos to celebrate the Sallah festival in Samora, their town, where the tragic incident happened.

Two other victims said to be unconscious when residents went into their apartment on Wednesday morning when the sad incident was discovered were said to have been rushed to the General Hospital, Offa for medical attention.

They were said to have engaged in deep celebration far into the night and their electricity generator was put on and all slept off.

An old woman, said to be a member of the family in the compound who wanted to go and greet them in the morning because she had not had a good audience with them was said to be the one that discovered they all died and raised alarm.

“Two of them who were still alive when residents went in were unconscious. They are lying in critical condition at the hospital now and we don’t know their fate yet,” a source who volunteered to speak told this reporter.

No one was in the mood to tell whether the deceased have been buried. However, they might have been buried according to Islamic rites.

Meanwhile, the State Police Public Relations Officer, Ajayi Okasanmi, has sent condolence message to the family. He, however, appealed to people to put safety first in all their actions.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *