5,000 innocent people mowed down in Benue terrorist attacks since 2011, Ortom laments

Advertisements

SHARE THIS

No fewer than 5,000 people have, so far, been mowed in Benue State since 2011 by Fulani terrorist gangs for no justification, Gov Samuel Ortom has lamented.

Advertisements

Ortom who spoke, Thursday, at the passing out parade of the first batch of 500 personnel of Benue State Community Volunteer Guards at the IBB Square, Makurdi, said the worsening insecurity in the country complicated Benue State’s security situation as other forms of criminalities had started creeping in due to the federal government’s failure and refusal to tackle the trend.

 .

Governor Ortom said the enactment of the Benue State Community Volunteer Guards was an outcome of the FG’s lackadaisical approach to tackling the state’s security challenges frontally, adding that the state government decided to revisit the Benue State Vigilante Law of 2000, which was enacted to complement the conventional security agencies in the state, in fighting insecurity.

.

Ortom said, “By the provisions of the new law, the Benue State Community Volunteer Guards can therefore carry legally approved weapons which we have duly provided,” adding that under this arrangement, it becomes legal to bear and use firearms within the ambit of the state law./SHARE THIS

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *